The Outpost Forum

Proud home of the Sheffield Honour Guard

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:13 am

All times are UTC

Get a FREE FORUM now !

Post subject: Flames of War, a brief description...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:31 pm 

OK Folks...

Flames of War is a 15mm (1:100th scale) Historic wargame that covers conflicts from 1930's to the late 1960's and more just keeps coming.....think historical Command and Conquer!

Take control of a force of your choice from a multitude of wars and conflicts. From a small skirmish of a company of heroes through to an entire brigade, you can fight it out as either an Axis or Allied commander, hunt VC in the deep jungle and soon cruise across the desert battling tanks and fighter jets!

There is something for everyone from Commandos to Tanks! Check it out online and get involved....don't be afraid it's actually quite fun!...

Post subject: Re: Flames of War, a brief description...
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:18 pm 

Hi All

FOW is a great game to play and scales well from 500 points infantry games to massive 10K games, we recently played D Day with the allies just getting a win over the two days as we also played Axis forces invading England and managed to hold them on the beaches.

If anyone wants some games post up and I am more than happy to round up some peeps from Barnsley to come over to have a demo.

If you are thinking of starting up interect in FOW then the Cassino Infantry Aces is a great place to start as you need to collect a 500 pts force based on an infantry company which will be HQ, 2 or 3 platoons and then probably some HMG or similar in support.

Then you get a set period to collect and paint up another 200 pts to add to it say 2 months or so, again a period to collect up to 900 pts and then a massive battle at the end with Allies vs Axis best played on biggest tables you can so the outposts 12 x 8 tables would be awesome

We are setting up a Bridge too Far game in September.

I play Soviets and the club are determined to play every major scenario where the Russians shouldn't be, that said they always let me use them anyway.

Have started a German force as well though in the interest of those who believe historical accuracy should be to the fore.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:07 pm 
Da Boss
Da Boss

Fantastic! We're planning on stocking it soon (and by soon I mean September) just gauging interest :)

Check out http://www.The-Outpost.co.uk today. Free delivery on all orders over £10.00 in the UK.

Jimmi: Very well sir, and may your socks always match.

Warmachine: Mercs
WH40K: Grey Knights (Deathwatch)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:17 pm 

Very happy that you will be stocking this Chris.

Also for anyone wanting to start up I just want to point out that the main WW2 game is split into 3 eras; Early War (1939-1941), Mid War (1942-1943) and Late War (1944-1945) with different lists and points values due to changing tactics and improved technology. You could tailor a list towards a particular era or campaign or build one to use in all 3 eras with minimal equipment changes. For example German Fallschirmjager (paratroopers) largely kept the same equipment and structure throughout the war so the same models could easily be used throughout, whereas German Panthers and Tigers can only be used mid or late war as they were not in production before.

It may seem like a lot to take on but it is quick to learn and a typical game last around 2 hours so you can easily get several in, and is genuinely one of the most fun games I have ever played. Also don't get put off if you don't know the history, just because it is a historical setting doesn't mean you have to know the exact details, just pick an army and have fun - if playing draws you into reading up on the history then fine, if it doesn't and you just want to blow some tanks up with under-equipped infantry then thats fine too... and also fun.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:51 am 

Well I'm putting the label of 'happy month' on september then! haha